PROGRESSIVE MUSIC COMPANY

AFRO-AMERICAN MUSIC INSTITUTE CELEBRATES 36 YEARS

BOYS CHOIR AFRICA SHIRTS

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/building-today-for-tomorrow/x/267428

Pain Relief Beyond Belief

http://www.komehsaessentials.com/                              

PITTSBURGH JAZZ

From Blakey to Brown, Como to Costa, Eckstine to Eldridge, Galbraith to Garner, Harris to Hines, Horne to Hyman, Jamal to Jefferson, Kelly to Klook; Mancini to Marmarosa, May to Mitchell, Negri to Nestico, Parlan to Ponder, Reed to Ruther, Strayhorn to Sullivan, Turk to Turrentine, Wade to Williams… the forthcoming publication Treasury of Pittsburgh Jazz Connections by Dr. Nelson Harrison and Dr. Ralph Proctor, Jr. will document the legacy of one of the world’s greatest jazz capitals.

Do you want to know who Dizzy Gillespie  idolized? Did you ever wonder who inspired Kenny Clarke and Art Blakey? Who was the pianist that mentored Monk, Bud Powell, Tad Dameron, Elmo Hope, Sarah Vaughan and Mel Torme? Who was Art Tatum’s idol and Nat Cole’s mentor? What musical quartet pioneered the concept adopted later by the Modern Jazz Quartet? Were you ever curious to know who taught saxophone to Stanley Turrentine or who taught piano to Ahmad Jamal? What community music school trained Robert McFerrin, Sr. for his history-making debut with the Metropolitan Opera? What virtually unknown pianist was a significant influence on young John Coltrane, Shirley Scott, McCoy Tyner, Bobby Timmons and Ray Bryant when he moved to Philadelphia from Pittsburgh in the 1940s?  Would you be surprised to know that Erroll Garner attended classes at the Julliard School of Music in New York and was at the top of his class in writing and arranging proficiency?

Some answers  can be gleaned from the postings on the Pittsburgh Jazz Network.

For almost 100 years the Pittsburgh region has been a metacenter of jazz originality that is second to no other in the history of jazz.  One of the best kept secrets in jazz folklore, the Pittsburgh Jazz Legacy has heretofore remained mythical.  We have dubbed it “the greatest story never told” since it has not been represented in writing before now in such a way as to be accessible to anyone seeking to know more about it.  When it was happening, little did we know how priceless the memories would become when the times were gone.

Today jazz is still king in Pittsburgh, with events, performances and activities happening all the time. The Pittsburgh Jazz Network is dedicated to celebrating and showcasing the places, artists and fans that carry on the legacy of Pittsburgh's jazz heritage.

WELCOME!

Badge

Loading…

Duke Ellington is first African-American and the first musician to solo on U.S. circulating coin

MARY LOU WILLIAMS     

INTERVIEW

In Her Own Words

TROMBONIST RANDY PURCELL PASSES FROM LIFE ON MAY 16, 2009

Randy passed away a few hours ago, Sat. May 16th at 11:18 PM. He was ill for quite a while, and though we prayed for a recovery, he had lost his will to live. Go to You Tube and watch him play Don't Let the Sun Come Down on Me with Maynard! Unfortunately he died at the relatively young age of 63 years. The sun came down on him - but at least we can still see him and hear him play.

---Leslie Purcell Upchurch (his sister)

Stay tuned to this network for funeral arrangements.

Views: 1244

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Randy,
Hang in there, praying for you.
Randy...

Haven't seen you in a couple years. Always enjoyed the few times you allowed me to play drums in your groups....
YOU are the best! Get well my friend.

Bob
Hi Randy....I happened to be researching former musicians from the Maynard Ferguson jazz bands and I thought I would look you up. I am so happy that I did since I ran across this forum to communicate with you.

I wanted to tell you that I sure you do not remember this, but I performed with you in 1976 at the Mid-West Band and Orchestra Clinic held in Chicago, IL. I was with a High School Jazz Band (Oakton) in Vienna, Virginia, and we were invited to play with you and Maynard Ferguson at this clinic. It was an such an honor for me to play have this experience. The concert went off fantastically and of course you and Maynard wowed the crowd as usual. We ended up playing "Nice and Juicy" with you and Maynard-quite a show. It was recorded live on record, and I still can hear the crowd in the background with their amazing comments about your performance.

Our jazz band stayed at the Conrad Hilton downtown-I will never forget you joining several of us in a "party room" after the concert-you had all of us kids in a frenzy of joy and laughter. You kept yelling out "HEY, HEY" and we all repeated "HEY HEY" in a loud response. (I think I recall that security eventually showed up to pipe us all down!). Anyway, I remember how so down to earth you, Maynard and the entire MF Jazz band was to all of us-we were starry-eyed in amazement that we in fact we playing on the same stage as you guys. Of course, after we did our thing on stage, your entire MF jazz band blew away the audience. It was right before Christmas, and you all were doing some really entertaining Christmas medley's-never heard "Jingle Bells" played like that before!

Anyway, I hope you receive this email ok-I just signed up for this forum just to write you so I hope it gets to you ok. Please let me know if you get it ok, and I will write back to you about a couple of other memories I have of you and you MF band.

I sure hope you are feeling better these days.

Regards, and thanks Randy for all your kindness to me and my fellow jazz band members in 1976.

Steve Bixler
Hi to Everyone Who Wrote to Randy,

Randy passed away a few hours ago, Sat. May 16th at 11:18 PM. He was ill for quite a while, and though we prayed for a recovery, he had lost his will to live. Go to You Tube and watch him play Don't Let the Sun Come Down on Me with Maynard! Unfortunately he died at the relatively young age of 63 years. The sun came down on him - but at least we can still see him and hear him play.

Thanks for the good wishes you sent.
Leslie Purcell Upchurch - his sister

Leslie:

May he rest in peace.

I will pass the word to the MF guys with whom I stay in touch.

Prayers there to you and the Family.

Warmest regards,
Nick Mondello
So sorry to hear this. Sincere condolences and best wishes to you and Jack and the family.
Sad to hear of his passing...May he rest in peace and may the good Lord comfort you in your time of sorrow!
May God Be with you and the Family
May God rest his soul he was a great talent and will be missed. He played with my band years ago and was a great player even at a young age. Troy Campbell
Randy will be so missed by all his friends. As one of his students, I know that many of the "kids" he taught at CMU have taken his sage advice about music, the music biz, and the world, to heart and always remember the wisdom he imparted. And also appreciated his enthusiasm, professionalism, and the opportunities he gave so many of us to play our first real gigs.

PLEASE let everyone know what the arrangements will be for viewing and funeral services.

Paul Cosentino
Hi All,

I'm very sorry to hear of Randy's death. I'm sure he will be jammin' with everybody in Heaven.

Randy was a great teacher and really encouraged me to be a jazz musician.

I had Randy as a music teacher in the jazz improv and jazz ensemble classes at CMU Prep Music School in both high school and college.

He had a lot of fun with me, and I loved the way he conducted jazz band. And his students always made me feel wanted too.

Randy and I also played with the University of Pittsburgh Kuntu Repertory Theater Orchestra.

God Bless Randy! May he rest in peace.

Ed Skirtich

RSS

© 2024   Created by Dr. Nelson Harrison.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service