PROGRESSIVE MUSIC COMPANY

AFRO-AMERICAN MUSIC INSTITUTE CELEBRATES 36 YEARS

BOYS CHOIR AFRICA SHIRTS

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/building-today-for-tomorrow/x/267428

Pain Relief Beyond Belief

http://www.komehsaessentials.com/                              

PITTSBURGH JAZZ

From Blakey to Brown, Como to Costa, Eckstine to Eldridge, Galbraith to Garner, Harris to Hines, Horne to Hyman, Jamal to Jefferson, Kelly to Klook; Mancini to Marmarosa, May to Mitchell, Negri to Nestico, Parlan to Ponder, Reed to Ruther, Strayhorn to Sullivan, Turk to Turrentine, Wade to Williams… the forthcoming publication Treasury of Pittsburgh Jazz Connections by Dr. Nelson Harrison and Dr. Ralph Proctor, Jr. will document the legacy of one of the world’s greatest jazz capitals.

Do you want to know who Dizzy Gillespie  idolized? Did you ever wonder who inspired Kenny Clarke and Art Blakey? Who was the pianist that mentored Monk, Bud Powell, Tad Dameron, Elmo Hope, Sarah Vaughan and Mel Torme? Who was Art Tatum’s idol and Nat Cole’s mentor? What musical quartet pioneered the concept adopted later by the Modern Jazz Quartet? Were you ever curious to know who taught saxophone to Stanley Turrentine or who taught piano to Ahmad Jamal? What community music school trained Robert McFerrin, Sr. for his history-making debut with the Metropolitan Opera? What virtually unknown pianist was a significant influence on young John Coltrane, Shirley Scott, McCoy Tyner, Bobby Timmons and Ray Bryant when he moved to Philadelphia from Pittsburgh in the 1940s?  Would you be surprised to know that Erroll Garner attended classes at the Julliard School of Music in New York and was at the top of his class in writing and arranging proficiency?

Some answers  can be gleaned from the postings on the Pittsburgh Jazz Network.

For almost 100 years the Pittsburgh region has been a metacenter of jazz originality that is second to no other in the history of jazz.  One of the best kept secrets in jazz folklore, the Pittsburgh Jazz Legacy has heretofore remained mythical.  We have dubbed it “the greatest story never told” since it has not been represented in writing before now in such a way as to be accessible to anyone seeking to know more about it.  When it was happening, little did we know how priceless the memories would become when the times were gone.

Today jazz is still king in Pittsburgh, with events, performances and activities happening all the time. The Pittsburgh Jazz Network is dedicated to celebrating and showcasing the places, artists and fans that carry on the legacy of Pittsburgh's jazz heritage.

WELCOME!

Badge

Loading…

Duke Ellington is first African-American and the first musician to solo on U.S. circulating coin

MARY LOU WILLIAMS     

INTERVIEW

In Her Own Words

Started An Online Music Channel Called "The Acid Jazz Channel".

I started an online music station called "The Acid Jazz Channel" at www.threeriversonline.com.

You need a fast computer to watch it, at least a 1 mhz chip and probably at least 512 of ram. I suppose it would work best on a gaming computer.

This is not Tony Mowad jazz. In fact, this is the kind of jazz I listened to growing up, or easy 86 am, where they played a lot of artists who were taking chances.

I'm curious what the community thinks about the station. There is, I might add, a lot of traditional jazz at the station. Some features Pittsburghers like ahmad jamal and newer guys like sean jones. But you'll find them. Lots of other classic jazz pieces as well. I just mix it up with classic pop, classic soul and some rock tunes. Frankly, I think that's the best way to attract the "young people" to the music. Not Kind of Blue over and over and over again.

Sincerely,

Philip Shropshire
www.threeriversonline.com

PS: I'm also looking to promote artists bizwise. The channel has over 3000 original videos. If you would like to promote your album or song I suppose I could charge you a whopping 100 dollars a month to put you in heavy rotation.

Views: 32

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Phil,

Thank you so much for joining the network and for promoting your channel. This is exactly the type of input we want. Perhaps you could post a few vids and sound samples on your page here to give an example, especially for those members who don't have gaming computers yet... like me. ;-)
I'll be happy too. Actually, if you wanted me too I could embed the entire channel here!

Philip Shropshire
www.threeriversonline.com

PS: This isn't the same Donald Harrison who hung around my dad John Shropshire is it?
Phil,

Are you referring to me? I'm Nelson Harrison and your dad and I were very close friends from Jr. High School on.
I knew that name sounded familiar. One of my big regrets is that my dad isn't around. I'd think he'd like that channel a lot.
I will be listening to your music site. I had the pleasure of being the Operations Director of WYJZ a.m. and Music Director of Easy 86 and we tried to give as much diversity in the music as possible. Today there is little on the air to keep one abreast of the new music trends, artists and product. If it was not for the internet some artists and their contributions would never be heard. Maybe another jazz radio station could be started. WOW, what a novel idea.

Frank B. Greenlee
Well, thanks Frank for that great station. That was one of my happiest pleasures growing up was listening to that station, especially those wild songs that you played just before you signed off...! There just isn't anything like that today. You could very easily recreate that online, however. In fact, a lot of those artists that you used to play are popping up on Youtube all the time. My station has a lot of those same artists, particularly weather report and pat metheny--I think they've been blacklisted from WDUQ with the exception of Birdland--no modern keyboards allowed apparently--but it's probably closer to WYEP than easy 86. Except while wyep plays one instrumental tune per hour 3 out of five of my tunes will be instrumentals. Although the random generator can give you any kind of show. Sometimes you get a rock show, an alt rock show, a news show, a trad jazz show. It kind of varies...I did embed the channel here if you're curious about it. Looking for feedback certainly and thank you again for easy 86, one of the best programmed instrumental stations ever....

RSS

© 2024   Created by Dr. Nelson Harrison.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service