PROGRESSIVE MUSIC COMPANY

AFRO-AMERICAN MUSIC INSTITUTE CELEBRATES 36 YEARS

BOYS CHOIR AFRICA SHIRTS

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/building-today-for-tomorrow/x/267428

Pain Relief Beyond Belief

http://www.komehsaessentials.com/                              

PITTSBURGH JAZZ

From Blakey to Brown, Como to Costa, Eckstine to Eldridge, Galbraith to Garner, Harris to Hines, Horne to Hyman, Jamal to Jefferson, Kelly to Klook; Mancini to Marmarosa, May to Mitchell, Negri to Nestico, Parlan to Ponder, Reed to Ruther, Strayhorn to Sullivan, Turk to Turrentine, Wade to Williams… the forthcoming publication Treasury of Pittsburgh Jazz Connections by Dr. Nelson Harrison and Dr. Ralph Proctor, Jr. will document the legacy of one of the world’s greatest jazz capitals.

Do you want to know who Dizzy Gillespie  idolized? Did you ever wonder who inspired Kenny Clarke and Art Blakey? Who was the pianist that mentored Monk, Bud Powell, Tad Dameron, Elmo Hope, Sarah Vaughan and Mel Torme? Who was Art Tatum’s idol and Nat Cole’s mentor? What musical quartet pioneered the concept adopted later by the Modern Jazz Quartet? Were you ever curious to know who taught saxophone to Stanley Turrentine or who taught piano to Ahmad Jamal? What community music school trained Robert McFerrin, Sr. for his history-making debut with the Metropolitan Opera? What virtually unknown pianist was a significant influence on young John Coltrane, Shirley Scott, McCoy Tyner, Bobby Timmons and Ray Bryant when he moved to Philadelphia from Pittsburgh in the 1940s?  Would you be surprised to know that Erroll Garner attended classes at the Julliard School of Music in New York and was at the top of his class in writing and arranging proficiency?

Some answers  can be gleaned from the postings on the Pittsburgh Jazz Network.

For almost 100 years the Pittsburgh region has been a metacenter of jazz originality that is second to no other in the history of jazz.  One of the best kept secrets in jazz folklore, the Pittsburgh Jazz Legacy has heretofore remained mythical.  We have dubbed it “the greatest story never told” since it has not been represented in writing before now in such a way as to be accessible to anyone seeking to know more about it.  When it was happening, little did we know how priceless the memories would become when the times were gone.

Today jazz is still king in Pittsburgh, with events, performances and activities happening all the time. The Pittsburgh Jazz Network is dedicated to celebrating and showcasing the places, artists and fans that carry on the legacy of Pittsburgh's jazz heritage.

WELCOME!

Badge

Loading…

Duke Ellington is first African-American and the first musician to solo on U.S. circulating coin

MARY LOU WILLIAMS     

INTERVIEW

In Her Own Words
Hi Pittsburgh Family,
Since visiting Pittsburgh in June and July 2008, jazz-poeming at the Shadow Lounge,Galifty's, the Dennis Cafe,with the players, then joining the PJN, I've spotted a lot of connections between Pittsburgh and Paris! Like, where have I been?

Okay, I encourage us to share the PIttsburgh-Paris connection for news, gig opportunites and for arranging the welcome committee of us home town Burgh boppers both sides of the pond.

Let me get it rolling with this nugget: Paris' only Jazz station, TSF-Paris Jazz, 89.9 fm, has redesigned its formerly limited, "safe" play list and uninspiring presenter hosts. In September (08) TSF
rocks with a full array of great artists, old and knew.Even Jazz-Poet tunes, like mine. Dig this: The station now imitates Tony Mowad, WDUQ, presenter. Like Tony has done for thousands of evenings, TSF plays the same arrangement of GIRL Talk, as music logo for intros, outros and segways. Tony, you're the man! Tonight I'm going to the DUC des Lombards club. I'm gonna tell the folks how Paris Jazz radio is cool to copy Tony's logo technique.Of course this will lead to naive questions about Pittsburgh which will necessitate me naming names y'all! At which folks will say "Oh yeah?" and " A Oui, c'est vrai, Peetsbearg, ah ?" Land of the Giant Killers, B'ah oui mes amis.

Keep the Beat on the Pulse of Life!
Moe Seager
Paris-Pittsburgh

Views: 33

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sat. Oct. 18

Moe Seager and Blue Note Metaphor
Jazz-Poetry ensemble
"Fallin into Autumn with bop, blues and love poems"

Cafe Universel
9 til round midnight
267 rue Saint Jacques
Latin Quarter
metros: Luxembourg and Port Royal

Rasul Siddik - Trumpet
Katy Roberts - Piano
Benjamin Sanz - Drums
Moe Seager - Vocals
Hey There,

Roby " SuperSax" Edwards is living in Paris. He's about jazz, blues,soul Dirty horn playing.

Rick C. from Greensburg is in Paris this past month. Rick is goin home to Orlando to d.j. a D.C.-C.C. styled Go-Go party on Barack's election night.

Dave Lorenzo from the Burgh moved to Paris in September to complete his Ph.D. in philosophy from Princeton. He's a jazz and poetry fsn who I met the first time at the Shadow Lounge last June. I was pleased when Dave showed for my last Paris concert at Cafe Universel. One doesn't frequently meet Pittsburghers at Paris Jazz concerts. Always a treat to greet homeys.
Poetry and Jazz fan, Dave Menti is in Paris with his daughter. East Ender, Dave is attending this week's jazz venues including our Paris tribute to ex-pat, Baltimore born, John Simms, composer, guitarist, singer. Winner of France's 1988 "best pop song" award, John died too young in September. Our tribute looks like an Apollo Entertainment Night, featuring Gospel, African, Irish and American artists playing gospel, blues, soul, country and jazz. And yes, a poet - me. Dave has come to Paris in a week filled with jazz, blues and poetry events. We are very happy to hook up, Pittsburgh-Paris connection.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Dr. Nelson Harrison.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service