PROGRESSIVE MUSIC COMPANY

AFRO-AMERICAN MUSIC INSTITUTE CELEBRATES 36 YEARS

BOYS CHOIR AFRICA SHIRTS

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/building-today-for-tomorrow/x/267428

Pain Relief Beyond Belief

http://www.komehsaessentials.com/                              

PITTSBURGH JAZZ

From Blakey to Brown, Como to Costa, Eckstine to Eldridge, Galbraith to Garner, Harris to Hines, Horne to Hyman, Jamal to Jefferson, Kelly to Klook; Mancini to Marmarosa, May to Mitchell, Negri to Nestico, Parlan to Ponder, Reed to Ruther, Strayhorn to Sullivan, Turk to Turrentine, Wade to Williams… the forthcoming publication Treasury of Pittsburgh Jazz Connections by Dr. Nelson Harrison and Dr. Ralph Proctor, Jr. will document the legacy of one of the world’s greatest jazz capitals.

Do you want to know who Dizzy Gillespie  idolized? Did you ever wonder who inspired Kenny Clarke and Art Blakey? Who was the pianist that mentored Monk, Bud Powell, Tad Dameron, Elmo Hope, Sarah Vaughan and Mel Torme? Who was Art Tatum’s idol and Nat Cole’s mentor? What musical quartet pioneered the concept adopted later by the Modern Jazz Quartet? Were you ever curious to know who taught saxophone to Stanley Turrentine or who taught piano to Ahmad Jamal? What community music school trained Robert McFerrin, Sr. for his history-making debut with the Metropolitan Opera? What virtually unknown pianist was a significant influence on young John Coltrane, Shirley Scott, McCoy Tyner, Bobby Timmons and Ray Bryant when he moved to Philadelphia from Pittsburgh in the 1940s?  Would you be surprised to know that Erroll Garner attended classes at the Julliard School of Music in New York and was at the top of his class in writing and arranging proficiency?

Some answers  can be gleaned from the postings on the Pittsburgh Jazz Network.

For almost 100 years the Pittsburgh region has been a metacenter of jazz originality that is second to no other in the history of jazz.  One of the best kept secrets in jazz folklore, the Pittsburgh Jazz Legacy has heretofore remained mythical.  We have dubbed it “the greatest story never told” since it has not been represented in writing before now in such a way as to be accessible to anyone seeking to know more about it.  When it was happening, little did we know how priceless the memories would become when the times were gone.

Today jazz is still king in Pittsburgh, with events, performances and activities happening all the time. The Pittsburgh Jazz Network is dedicated to celebrating and showcasing the places, artists and fans that carry on the legacy of Pittsburgh's jazz heritage.

WELCOME!

Badge

Loading…

Duke Ellington is first African-American and the first musician to solo on U.S. circulating coin

MARY LOU WILLIAMS     

INTERVIEW

In Her Own Words
I have a question… The question may hurt if you answer it honestly and with out the bull. It may be a strange question but none the less it’s a good question to me. This question goes out to the old time Jazz (people). Those with 30 plus years in tuning their sound to please the crowd. Those Players that literally had to fight from the ground up , tooth and nail.

The question is “ ARE YOU STILL HAVING FUN WITH THE MUSIC ? ”

Why I ask is because I’ve been seeing a lot of old time music people lately and few seems to be having fun in front of the stage lights. I’m a performer of small sorts myself, I draw pictures. I know what I do is nothing like being a front man, but its my passion . I want to make sure I enjoy the drawling all my life without getting to the point that it’s all for show…. So I ask again “ Are you feeling your music or has it become a burden ? “ Also, if its a burden what one thing would you do different to keep the passion alive.

Puff puff pass.

CWR

Views: 130

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And with our next very deep breath...we open our eyes to perceive the brightness of the Light outside of us and the light from within!
Melodies that truly resonate with us are like steps into the beyond! You feel and see that life is continuing in between each breath we take , vibrating with the tones. Sometimes,, so well, we stop breathing to drift with our minds eye to that silent peace from which we were probably all created. Playing and living is so much fun!!
I've been playing for 50 years. All kinds of music. Music should be played by musicians. Not instrumentalists. I'm more excited with music every day I awake. I'm like a child on Christmas Eve-----EVERY day. I've had to play gigs whatever---sometimes with an instrument I've never played. When you have a wife (stay at home) and 3 children and a mortgage complaining or failure is not an option. I like your question because I think I know where you're going and I think you're headed the right way.
Regards.
Tony
.... our music is based on our collective inner need for creative expression..... whether you toil away in obscurity or are barely able to make it to the next gig because of a busy over-booked schedule, the excitement never is diminished when you consider that thinning crowds or not, there is a place for our music, and the need by both audience and performers to experience together that oneness of creative explosion that happens when the drums call our attention to hot rhythms and the soulful sounds of the horns awaken our emotions is stronger than you may think.....when you become good at something, almost anything, it carries with it a degree of awareness by those who are paying attention....."fame" is more of a reaction by the listening population than a desire, creation, or intent of the performer.... young creative people are often misled by circumstance and social desire ..... keep it in perspective......we do this because of our love for expression, and the ability to alter the consciousness of our listeners... if I only play on a streetcorner, I know that someone hears it.. ..we musicians help people transcend reality, and assist in leading them to a "better place", at least for the duration of the song.... it is the strongest of artists drives..... that ability to alter reality and bring people to a better place.....
That is a great question, I miss the larger than life personalities of years before in Jazz.We were more of a family, many Jazz musicians were early pioneers of the civil rights movement.When I first came to Miami in the 1960's Black musicians could not stay at the Miami Beach hotels.
So I stayed in the same hotels as Sammy Davis, Coltrane,Miles and Satchmo.They really cared for the oppressed and underdog. I miss that spirit in Jazz but I try to keep it alive.
Thank you all, I now this subject would get a second look. I'm very passionate about my creations and want a deeper look into the future, my old lady love the cash I love the creation. Please expand on the thought I really do enjoy the wisdom.
I am a 72 year old keyboardist who loves to play "standards" and light jazz in public, but I have noticed a disturbing trend. Even if we re really "smoking" and most everyone around is caught up in the music, more and more of those under 40 who happen by, don't seem to have a clue as too what we are playing. That music genre seems totally alien to them. This is especially sad when they are young blacks, because talented black artists, song writers and performers are responsible for legacy of great American music that exists today. That great legacy of music seems lost to young black listeners of today. What they listen to, (and what they buy) are rap and hip-hop recordings.
Yes, It's tough. Right now, I just try to practice and stay interested by finding new music to play. The old saying"life gets in the way" is true for me to a certain degree. But I know deep down inside that I will continue playing because I increasingly understand the importance of doing so.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Dr. Nelson Harrison.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service