PROGRESSIVE MUSIC COMPANY

AFRO-AMERICAN MUSIC INSTITUTE CELEBRATES 36 YEARS

BOYS CHOIR AFRICA SHIRTS

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/building-today-for-tomorrow/x/267428

Pain Relief Beyond Belief

http://www.komehsaessentials.com/                              

PITTSBURGH JAZZ

From Blakey to Brown, Como to Costa, Eckstine to Eldridge, Galbraith to Garner, Harris to Hines, Horne to Hyman, Jamal to Jefferson, Kelly to Klook; Mancini to Marmarosa, May to Mitchell, Negri to Nestico, Parlan to Ponder, Reed to Ruther, Strayhorn to Sullivan, Turk to Turrentine, Wade to Williams… the forthcoming publication Treasury of Pittsburgh Jazz Connections by Dr. Nelson Harrison and Dr. Ralph Proctor, Jr. will document the legacy of one of the world’s greatest jazz capitals.

Do you want to know who Dizzy Gillespie  idolized? Did you ever wonder who inspired Kenny Clarke and Art Blakey? Who was the pianist that mentored Monk, Bud Powell, Tad Dameron, Elmo Hope, Sarah Vaughan and Mel Torme? Who was Art Tatum’s idol and Nat Cole’s mentor? What musical quartet pioneered the concept adopted later by the Modern Jazz Quartet? Were you ever curious to know who taught saxophone to Stanley Turrentine or who taught piano to Ahmad Jamal? What community music school trained Robert McFerrin, Sr. for his history-making debut with the Metropolitan Opera? What virtually unknown pianist was a significant influence on young John Coltrane, Shirley Scott, McCoy Tyner, Bobby Timmons and Ray Bryant when he moved to Philadelphia from Pittsburgh in the 1940s?  Would you be surprised to know that Erroll Garner attended classes at the Julliard School of Music in New York and was at the top of his class in writing and arranging proficiency?

Some answers  can be gleaned from the postings on the Pittsburgh Jazz Network.

For almost 100 years the Pittsburgh region has been a metacenter of jazz originality that is second to no other in the history of jazz.  One of the best kept secrets in jazz folklore, the Pittsburgh Jazz Legacy has heretofore remained mythical.  We have dubbed it “the greatest story never told” since it has not been represented in writing before now in such a way as to be accessible to anyone seeking to know more about it.  When it was happening, little did we know how priceless the memories would become when the times were gone.

Today jazz is still king in Pittsburgh, with events, performances and activities happening all the time. The Pittsburgh Jazz Network is dedicated to celebrating and showcasing the places, artists and fans that carry on the legacy of Pittsburgh's jazz heritage.

WELCOME!

Badge

Loading…

Duke Ellington is first African-American and the first musician to solo on U.S. circulating coin

MARY LOU WILLIAMS     

INTERVIEW

In Her Own Words
I have a question… The question may hurt if you answer it honestly and with out the bull. It may be a strange question but none the less it’s a good question to me. This question goes out to the old time Jazz (people). Those with 30 plus years in tuning their sound to please the crowd. Those Players that literally had to fight from the ground up , tooth and nail.

The question is “ ARE YOU STILL HAVING FUN WITH THE MUSIC ? ”

Why I ask is because I’ve been seeing a lot of old time music people lately and few seems to be having fun in front of the stage lights. I’m a performer of small sorts myself, I draw pictures. I know what I do is nothing like being a front man, but its my passion . I want to make sure I enjoy the drawling all my life without getting to the point that it’s all for show…. So I ask again “ Are you feeling your music or has it become a burden ? “ Also, if its a burden what one thing would you do different to keep the passion alive.

Puff puff pass.

CWR

Views: 130

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Way back; when I was 20, taking piano lessons; Mickey Gentile taught me a lesson that I have applied to more than improvising on the keyboard; "There's no such thing as a mistake----especially when you play it twice!!" When I soon chose to see that this applied to my life beyond the keyboard I knew the essence of freedom. I continue to thank God for jazzing up my life so often!!
“Play it twice” that phrase is a conundrum to me, as a creator I am afraid to copy ~duplicate. It may be different on the music creation side, but my lessons are never about practice. Each pieces are the practice for better things to come. Each study has a small object or meaning that I will use again some day. I demand of myself never to revisit an old message. However “playing it twice” is my fear, will I become a character artist sitting on the Jersey shore drawling in customers with my tricks?
CWR, You gotta lot inside this one baby. First, I do have a whole lotta years behind me playing drums professionally and can say this: if I did not love what I did, every day, all day good and bad and in between-- I sure as hell would not be carrying around the 'heavy metal' and drums that I do. Basically, I shlep for a living...time spent would dumbfound you how much is done shelping as opposed to playing! Hahaha! That said-- you need to hear me play! I am sure you would see what I mean! ;) I made the choice to do what I love long ago and to keep doin' it, honing it. developing it, expanding upon it. The path...yea spiritually its similar from my experience.

I’m finding out very fast that my mission needs as much power as I can get. That being the master of this creative dog on my back. If I have to create then I’m doing it my way. However my way is not ever subtle, I must go the full distance ever time. So with that I have found that education is the tool, dive deeply when you dive and come out better off(in some passions.) You seem to have a time at it as a woman, if I’m wrong please say so. I guess being a woman still isn’t easy, I I for one have taking woman as a lesser for years. Not that they can not achieve but it was breed into my , “momma was weaker.” Now I have once again learned something as you said it “that moment.” My moment was when all hell was braking loss and a woman laid down fire before most of the men lifted their heads. So now in my eyes ladies rock. However do you draw a line were you want to be treated as a lady but on the other side a equal? That’s were it is hard for us guys. Can’t have both sides , if you show us ass we want ass, if you show us Alpha we give Alpha respect….. I would enjoy watching you play, but I am a recluse, a old broken grunt. If your ever close to my hood give me a ring I’ll bring my china doll and we can steam up the dance floor……….
Hi Janelle,
I dig what you said.
You play with so much life and meaning.
I love the way you smile when you play and you make me feel so special on the band stand when I jam with you at CJ's.
You play with so much passion and happiness and I feel really great when I get done jammin' with you.
My Mom really enjoys hangin' out with you too.

Let's continue to do jam sets together.

Musically,
Ed Skirtich
Trumpet player
Artistic Director/Jazz Workshop, Inc.
(412) 422-4149 (H)
(412) 841-8046 (C)
Janelle..............Last night at Pittsburgh's JazzLive performance with Tony Campbell your sticks bent our reality well!!!! Your alternative and impulsive melodic rhythm patterns were refreshing and awaking in the right ways to invigorate us! Keep honing in on the the realities you create!!!
I think it is being harder to present the music here because there are fewer places to perform like there used to be even when IU started doing radio 30 years ago. One thing that can be done by us who have the energy is to create new opportunities , new venues and alternatative spaces where all people can work,

Kevin
So with the drain on the arts does it make it hard in being a performer?

What I'm saying is "does the thinning of the crowds have you disappointed and unwilling to expand your talent?" Or is your talent also a passion, one that needs feeding? I guess I'm not looking for the biz side of Jazz, I'm looking for the private side of Jazz those days sitting in your studio debating if you want to go on. My art even thou small compared to your lives is the same in the ways of its death. With the fast paced never ending life we lead, many things are lost. Creative minds are looked upon as bums and useless. Is it worth it?

I am fine with knowing I will never be at center stage, I am fine with knowing my fans will be counted on one hand, I am fine with knowing my message will never get heard, however what I don’t know is 'after its all said and done, will I be happy with my journey?
When God chrystalized light into matter so we could start keeping track of time as matter passed or separated each of us from each other (as the individual facets of the diamond of Life that you and I are) we sometimes silence our thoughts........to hear the next phrase of the improvisation direction that we are about to discover....Breath deeper to hear and see these vibrations though which we know we are alive!!!!
What a microscopic explanation. Very bright and directed. To this I take you are beyond concerning yourselves with fame.
Beyond which FAME? Frequently Anointed Masculine Ego
Feminist Aristocracy Managing Evil
Fantastically Accurate Mensa-rian Evaluations
Fuming Articulate Maternal Essence
Fraudulent Ability Manufacturing Energy
Futuristic Availed Magnetic E-opening
into the tenth dimension! Michio Kaku would be proud of us!!
Present notability , as where, you have the pointed mountain under your feet. Fame is the point of no return, were you are for a better phrase “at the top of your game.” I have left fame at the hands of the “gods.” My fame will be visible in my sons future and theirs, they have not room for my on this today’s Mountain.

I would like to know were you stand, at being famous. Is your passion the drive of your work or is it just for the fame. I struggle with wanting fame , a life of creation for others. Allowing my mind to create as others guide my hand. I’m afraid of that place.

I don’t feel like you, I see none as a blockade , but I am not in your say- shoes. I understand your frustrations however pointing out the cause of your weighted life only has you preoccupied by it. My only lesson from this hard miserable life is that you are the only thing stopping you from greatness. Greatness is one thing, fame is another thing A greedy place filled, fame, with dishonesty and peril.

CWR

RSS

© 2024   Created by Dr. Nelson Harrison.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service