PROGRESSIVE MUSIC COMPANY

AFRO-AMERICAN MUSIC INSTITUTE CELEBRATES 36 YEARS

BOYS CHOIR AFRICA SHIRTS

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/building-today-for-tomorrow/x/267428

Pain Relief Beyond Belief

http://www.komehsaessentials.com/                              

PITTSBURGH JAZZ

From Blakey to Brown, Como to Costa, Eckstine to Eldridge, Galbraith to Garner, Harris to Hines, Horne to Hyman, Jamal to Jefferson, Kelly to Klook; Mancini to Marmarosa, May to Mitchell, Negri to Nestico, Parlan to Ponder, Reed to Ruther, Strayhorn to Sullivan, Turk to Turrentine, Wade to Williams… the forthcoming publication Treasury of Pittsburgh Jazz Connections by Dr. Nelson Harrison and Dr. Ralph Proctor, Jr. will document the legacy of one of the world’s greatest jazz capitals.

Do you want to know who Dizzy Gillespie  idolized? Did you ever wonder who inspired Kenny Clarke and Art Blakey? Who was the pianist that mentored Monk, Bud Powell, Tad Dameron, Elmo Hope, Sarah Vaughan and Mel Torme? Who was Art Tatum’s idol and Nat Cole’s mentor? What musical quartet pioneered the concept adopted later by the Modern Jazz Quartet? Were you ever curious to know who taught saxophone to Stanley Turrentine or who taught piano to Ahmad Jamal? What community music school trained Robert McFerrin, Sr. for his history-making debut with the Metropolitan Opera? What virtually unknown pianist was a significant influence on young John Coltrane, Shirley Scott, McCoy Tyner, Bobby Timmons and Ray Bryant when he moved to Philadelphia from Pittsburgh in the 1940s?  Would you be surprised to know that Erroll Garner attended classes at the Julliard School of Music in New York and was at the top of his class in writing and arranging proficiency?

Some answers  can be gleaned from the postings on the Pittsburgh Jazz Network.

For almost 100 years the Pittsburgh region has been a metacenter of jazz originality that is second to no other in the history of jazz.  One of the best kept secrets in jazz folklore, the Pittsburgh Jazz Legacy has heretofore remained mythical.  We have dubbed it “the greatest story never told” since it has not been represented in writing before now in such a way as to be accessible to anyone seeking to know more about it.  When it was happening, little did we know how priceless the memories would become when the times were gone.

Today jazz is still king in Pittsburgh, with events, performances and activities happening all the time. The Pittsburgh Jazz Network is dedicated to celebrating and showcasing the places, artists and fans that carry on the legacy of Pittsburgh's jazz heritage.

WELCOME!

Badge

Loading…

Duke Ellington is first African-American and the first musician to solo on U.S. circulating coin

MARY LOU WILLIAMS     

INTERVIEW

In Her Own Words
MCG Jazz Series adds artists, shows for '08-09
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Chuck Mangione will perform at the Manchester Craftsmen's Guild Oct. 2-5.Manchester Craftsmen's Guild's MCG Jazz series will expand next season, doubling the number of performers and adding more weekend performances.

The 2008-09 MCG season will feature 16 headliners and a wide spectrum of Jazz styles.

The 2008-09 MCG Jazz lineup

• Sept. 19: Yellowjackets with Mike Stern

• Oct. 2-5: Chuck Mangione

• Oct. 11-12: Michel Camilo

• Oct. 17: Martin Taylor and Gerald Clayton

• Nov. 9: Toshiko Akiyoshi

• Dec. 4-7: The Ray Brown Tribute Band featuring Christian McBride, Benny Green and Greg Hutchinson

• Dec. 13: Spyro Gyra

• Jan. 31-Feb. 1, 2009: Take 6

• Feb. 15: Brubeck Brothers Quartet

• Feb. 27: Kurt Elling

• March 7: Jimmy Heath Quartet

• March 14: The Tierney Sutton Band

• April 4: Blue Note Records 70th Anniversary -- On Tour featuring Bill Charlap, Ravi Coltrane, Pat Martino, Lewis Nash, Nicholas Payton, Peter Washington and Steve Wilson

• April 16-19: Poncho Sanchez Latin Jazz Band

• April 24: Luciana Souza

• May 7-10: John Pizzarelli

First published on March 19, 2008 at 12:00 am
EmailPrint

Views: 99

Replies to This Discussion

This is a great national lineup. I wrote to Marty Ashby awile ago about using other local performers for MCG events except the usual. I feel muisician in Pittsburgh that may not be in a clique don't get noticed and there is a lot of talent out there. I left town, and this seems to be the deciding factor, altho I feel I contributed alot tom Pittsburgh and would like to do more.
At times, I feel there is a personal vendetta or slomething. I know there are no ven ues etc etc etc but there ARE MUSICIANS; GOOD ONES USE THEM FOR THE ONES WE HAVE!!!!!
Tribune-Review

Trombonist Nelson Harrison should have named his show at the Cabaret Theater, Downtown, "Jam Session" instead of "Horn Section."

The April 15 concert that was part of the Jazz Appreciation Month celebration did not show the cohesion, clever arrangements or sonority that a "section" would produce. Instead, it simply was a group of five horn players jamming jazz classics such as "Blue Bossa" or "Our Delight."

That didn't make the show unenjoyable, but it was easily the weakest of the series of five concerts that continues this evening. Saxophonist Lou Stellute got a big hand for his energetic solo on "Blue Bossa," but, most often, the responses simply were polite.

That made sense. The solos from the group also featuring trumpeter Chuck Austin, trombonist Al Dowe and alto sax player Hosea Taylor seldom showed passion or inspiration.

Drummer Roger Humphries was the standout. naturally, to a rhythm section that also featured bassist Virgil Walters, pianist Max Leake and guitarist Gerald Haymon.

-- Bob Karlovits
You should hear Annie Friedland (out of town for a while but back) and Janelle Burdell. Annie used to play with Kenny Blake at hemmingways every week. Great organ feeling...black in a past life!!!! She is on this website with some music!
Attachments:
I'm excited about this line up. Particularly looking forward to Poncho Sanchez Latin Jazz Band. I saw them many years ago at YOUNGSTOWN STATE UNIVERSITY, of all places, and loved it. Also looking forward to legendary Jimmy Heath, Brubeck Brothers and the Blue Note Records gig.

Kudos to MCG on a diverse offering this season.
Yes,

I have my season tickets already for the series that includes Poncho and Jimmy Heath. I saw Chuck Mangione there once before and he was a bit disappointing. I wish they had put Spanky Wilson on their major schedule. She would have packed the house because she had not been home to perform in almost 30 years. They brought her in and out on a Friday and I have yet to speak to someone who knew her that was there to greet her. That's a travesty.
I've never seen Spanky Wilson. Where is she based?
A few years ago Pancho Sanchez and his band did a 10 minute solo using only shekeres that was amazing. First one, then the next, jumped in with another shekere until the theater was buzzing with the rhythms of the beads like bees from hundreds of hives. Makes me want to finish my half-done shekere from a few years ago...Hope you enjoy that concert.
Kira,

I saw them do that once also. Amazing indeed.
Many years ago I played in a band called "The Savoys" and our guitar player moved on and became quite famous, we need to bring him home for a series of concerts at maybe "The Manchester", his name is James "Blood" Ulmer. It would be nice to see and hear him again.

Frank B. Greenlee
Where is he based?
ANNIE FRIEDLAND, ANNIE FRIEDLAND, ANNIEFRIEDLAND
.... truly a great year ahead for MCG! wOw! ..... it's hard for me to stay in my seat ! so much excitement! ..... I was only able to attend one show there in the past !...... but memorable! of course....and, A.A. Friedland, I don't think there is a vendetta or conspiracy, but rather Pgh is in need of better promotion for things like this..... there are still tough time ahead in so many regards, but I'm very optimistic.... always looking toward the future seems to make things brighter for me....!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Dr. Nelson Harrison.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service